31 songs: part 2

Following me finishing Mentioned a week ago (and what a relaxing week it's been for it), I started building a list of my all time, desert island, favourite 31 songs. You can read the first ten here, and below is the next bunch.
  1. Fatherson - James
    A lot of musicians fill my Instagram feed, and in the spirit of "support your scene", they share a lot of music they like. As I'd heard the name a few times, when I saw Fatherson's I Am An Island posted on there, I gave it a listen in a late study session after college a few years back. I fell in love with one track off the record, Cat Stevens, and when I listened back to the album in full a year or so ago, I loved the whole thing, but the line, "so go home, sober up, take a weight off your feet and just chill", caught me. In the first weeks of uni I wrote it out with a thick marker pen on some cardboard and stuck it up.
  2. The Front Bottoms - Cough It Out
    Someone posted the internet famous line, "with tears in my eyes, I begged you to stay / You said "hey man I love you, but no fucking way", on Twitter, and the rest is history. Sometimes I forget how much I love The Front Bottoms, and though Cough It Out annoyed me to start with. I soon fell in love. Brian Sella inspires a lot of my style of writing.
  3. james - Moving On
    No, I've never listened to Sit Down or Laid, or any of james' old music. This album was the first I got sent a hard copy of so it's important to me in that sense, but also because I was moved to tears by the video for this. It's wonderful.
  4. Kishi Bashi - Q&A
    If we're counting, this is the second album I received a hard copy of. I loved the whole album, but this song stuck out for me. It's like a perfectly formed diamond. Whatever.
  5. Lydia - Holidays
    Devil
     is one of few perfect albums. It's probably my favourite album ever. I saw Lydia supporting The Maine a few years back, along with Nick Santino (former frontman of A Rocket To The Moon, who I loved back in t' day). I got to interview Lydia, but it was before I got into them, which sucked. Back To Bed and The Exit are also brilliant tracks off this album.
  6. Rob Lynch - True Romance
    The rest of these songs have long, wonderful explanations. This one I just sort of fell in love with. Taken off a bloody perfect album as well, might I add.
  7. Mystery Jets - Two Doors Down
    Favourite song ever I don't care what anyone says. I first heard this the summer it came out, down at Whitesands in Wales and it was the most wonderful, sunny, perfect time of everything ever. No matter how much I listen to this song or how old it gets, it still reminds me of then.
  8. The National - I Need My Girl
    The saddest song ever written? Perhaps. When I first listened to this I really didn't get it. I left it a few months, listened to the whole album, and was hooked. I once listened to this about 30 times and wrote a song straight after. It's a sad song.
  9. Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
    Another song that a music friend of mine got me into. This one was an instant hit, I fell in love with the album but the title track got me. It makes me wanna spin around down a street in a wide dress, but in a sad way.
  10. No Doubt - Bathwater
    Again, there were a lot of songs on this list and I was torn between putting this or Texas' Heaven's Ocean. A lot of sonsg from when I was wee mean a lot to me, but I always liked this one. No idea why. It's so weird.
Final bunch on Thursday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The pill, and reading the small print

Half marathons are boring unless you're quick

2016, a disgustingly good year (bar all the shit)